We all know that art educates, entertains and inspires; but we need to spread the word that the arts contribute to the economy, employ people and improve other areas of education. Here are some impressive facts from Texas Cultural Trust:
The arts sector…
- Generates more than $5 billion for Texas’ economy.
- Contributes more than $340 million a year in state sales tax revenue.
- Employ one in every 15 workers in Texas, which is more than 800,000 innovation workers.
- Are one of the fastest-growing segments of the U.S. economy.
Students enrolled in arts classes…
- Have 15% higher pass rates on standardized tests.
- Are half as likely to drop out if they were at risk of doing so.
- Attend an additional week of school each year.
- 80% of Texas voters and 90% of parents support increased funding for the arts in schools.
- Nearly half of arts participants engage in volunteer community work, compared to 20% of those who do not regularly participate in the arts.
For more details, click here to see Texas Cultural Trust’s 2017 State of the Arts report.
If you want to be more engaged, click here to sign up for Texans for the Arts’ newsletter, which often includes action alerts.